Friday, September 02, 2011

Hello, September!


My summer read this year was called The Happiness Project. I thoroughly enjoyed it. And I kept it so long I owed the library $10 in late fees. My apologies, library...but it was worth it! I was inspired by a friend to read it, after she mentioned it a few times on her blog (not sure I would have read it otherwise. Thanks, Kendra!).  I gained many new and very practical insights on making intentional and conscious choices that could increase my happiness. So much of a person's happiness has to do with their attitude and mindset. Like many other things in life, it starts from within. It's a good read. I totally recommend it. Especially if you are a task oriented, get 'er done, "lists", kinda person. You'd love it!

Just one of many things I took away from this book (and love!) is the 6 second hug. The author did some research and discovered that "the minimum time necessary to promote the flow of oxytocin and seratonin, mood-boosting chemicals that promote bonding" is 6 seconds. I believe that. I dare you to try it.  :)


Mark and I went to Gimli for the day to celebrate my birthday. It was an incredibly beautiful day. I wasn't expecting beach weather for my birthday! Usually at this time in the summer it starts to cool off and the crisp fall temperatures start to creep in. Not this year. It was perfection.
We ate lunch on a patio overlooking the lake (which almost feels more like the sea than a lake...come on, pretend with me!), lay on the beach and watched sailboats while we worked on our tans, we went to my very favourite store, Tergesen's, we walked the pier, and we took photos. It was a lovely day. 

And I very much enjoyed spending it with my favourite person.  :)


A perfect end to quite a perfect summer. 

Now it's September. Time to get back into school (my LAST year of school, that is. Very exciting to say those words!)...get back into a regular routine...and bring out the fall wardrobe (yay!). 

A happy fall, and many 6 second hugs to you:)


1 comment:

  1. Your pictures are so beautiful! I have never any particular urges to go to Gimli, but I do now! And I'm very glad to hear that you enjoyed the book! I totally loved the 6 second hug thing too.:)

    ReplyDelete